View Full Version : Carbon Monoxide: Girls Poisoned on Houseboat

06-11-2017, 07:49 PM
It's that time of year again! Be careful.

Girls poisoned by carbon monoxide while playing at lake


I know I'm preaching to the choir but I hope you will pass this on to new houseboat owners.

see http://newboatbuilders.com/pages/carbonmonoxide.html

06-12-2017, 06:44 AM
Glad that they lived.
Nice post for the newbies

06-12-2017, 06:55 AM
The grandparents should be slapped silly. This is a well known issue with older houseboats with under the swim platform generator exhaust ports. There is absolutely NO reason this should still be happening.

06-13-2017, 11:36 AM
I agree. When I worked in the USCG Office of Boating Safety we started putting out CO Warnings in the 80's. Then there was the tragedy in Lake Powell that led to changing the standards for exhaust placement on houseboats. This is a well known issue. But as we always said in the military, "there's always that small percent that don't get the word" ( in civil service they change that to "don't get the memo"} But anyone who buys a houseboat (or any boat for that matter, should be advised about CO. Boat builders now put it in their owners manuals and place labels on the boat. Some states give you a CO warning label when you register the boat and require you to put it in a very visible place. Washington state even gave me one for my rowboat!