Your Ultimate Online Houseboating Resource
Welcome to Houseboat Magazine
Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Hmm New Bucket List Ideal

Look near Pirate's Cove Marina, in Josephine, Al, just south of the World Famous Elberta German Sausage Festival.

Been There Tom!! Really liked it and is on my short list!!!!
    Met the owner and the Mayor of Elberta, both seemed nice.

Did not know of the World Famous Elberta German Sausage Festival, will have to fuss at my kids for my lack of knowledge to such an important event. I will be sure to attend!!

I was wrong, De. The river I was thinking of is Fish River, over by Magnolia Springs, off Weeks Bay. Beautiful place. Truly lovely, and if you move there, fair warning, I'm coming to visit. I have a friend, lives over on Dog River, has a 2-place ultralight airplane on floats. We cruised up Fish River about 20 feet off the water once, and I swore then and there that if I won the lottery (a tough job, if you're too cheap to buy a ticket) I'd have a second home right....there. Overlooking moss-draped cypress trees, watching the eaglets grow. Come to think of it, that's what I have here, but the mailman comes by truck here.

Flying into Mobile Downtown Airport, as I do several times a year, gives lots of opportunity to look down at the twisty rivers in the delta there, and you'd be surprised at how many houseboats and shanty boats are tucked into those backwaters. 'Course, yours would stand out a little, what with paint and all. Even so, it would be neat to have your own pet alligator.

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia View Post
    I was wrong, De. The river I was thinking of is Fish River, over by Magnolia Springs, off Weeks Bay. Beautiful place. Truly lovely, and if you move there, fair warning, I'm coming to visit. I have a friend, lives over on Dog River, has a 2-place ultralight airplane on floats. We cruised up Fish River about 20 feet off the water once, and I swore then and there that if I won the lottery (a tough job, if you're too cheap to buy a ticket) I'd have a second home right....there. Overlooking moss-draped cypress trees, watching the eaglets grow. Come to think of it, that's what I have here, but the mailman comes by truck here.
    WOW your description of the flight made me want to sell everything and head south!!!

I hang glide and when I get a chance I bum rides in ultralights. Owning an ultralight is on my bucket-list but the costs/benefits will likely preclude the actual owning of one. Buying a Hang glider will happen this year, I hope.
    I appreciate you taking the time to post.

You're braver than I! I did have an opportunity a few years back to sail down a big NC sand dune lying prone in/on the replica 1902 Wright Glider. Found out the 7 second ride was fun, but a much longer ride would've been much better. No wonder the boys hung motors on their next model. Hang gliding is fun, soaring is even more fun, but I do like my internal combustion engines. Even on sailboats, these days. When you get down there and tie your houseboat up, I'll introduce you to my MX2 Quicksilver friend. Great guy, he's always glad to share his fun. Fair warning before you invest in your Rogallo wing-- there aren't many hills to jump off of down there, and it's a short flight to the water from the top deck of a houseboat.

Hmm bet I could make just enough speed with the HB for a towed glider/para sail!!
    Would like to meet your friend and at the minimum see what he flies! The MX2 is a nice UL.

Edit: Just looked at the map and Fish River is the area the kids are looking at to buy property! I have rode Belinda thru there and some areas are really nice. Hope this works out, lol.
    Last edited by desimulacra; 01-05-2016 at 12:54 PM.

+ Reply to Thread