Your Ultimate Online Houseboating Resource
Welcome to Houseboat Magazine
Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Mississippi River Navigation/Info

Tony, that's funny because everyone I've talked to here at the marina have all come up the Mississippi. But as I mentioned earlier, the majority of them are Hatteras's in the 60+ foot range. My neighbor in the slip next to me has a 67 ft Tollycraft that he brought up from Houma. I'm just a little Leary about taking an 80 ft houseboat with twin Merc I/O's onto the Mighty Mississippi. You are correct about the Yacht Club location. It's right next to the Maumelle Park. The RV park is right next to the marina. Looking out my front door I'm actually looking at it. We've lived all over this country and never thought in a million years we'd ever live in Arkansas, but so far we've been pleasantly surprised.

Little Tennessee River (Tellico Lak) near Knoxville
    it's interesting how peoples experiences differ. I was probably hanging out in the low rent district at the time. LOL
    Arkansas is a beautiful state. When I lived there I was not into boating but I always thought that a trip upriver would be fun. You should be able to get as far as Tulsa, Ok. At least at one time you could. I dont know how scenic it would be down river. I think that would be mostly flat farm land.

I still get to LR about twice a year to visit my daughters and grandson.

Keep us informed of your travels
    Houseboater at Heart
    1986 Mainship 36 Dual Cabin Pointed Ended House Boat

We can still make it as far north as Tulsa. I was looking at the charts for going down the Mississippi then over to Mobile Bay. It looks like there may be some open water exposure from the Mississippi over to the inland side of the barrier islands. I have no problem with watching the weather and waiting for a good time for the transit, but I thought that maybe I was missing something. Other than that it looks like it would be a great trip.

Little Tennessee River (Tellico Lak) near Knoxville
    Coming Down the Mississippi, many cruisers split off onto what I believe is called the Port Allen Route which goes through Baton Rouge, La. It's supposed to be a safer route and more scenic route to the ICW.
    I have never been on it so not sure. It should be on the charts.
    Anyway, eventually, you will have to cross the Mississippi if you take the ICW. I think it was only about 5 miles - dont remember for sure- down river from Harvey, La. I could see where that stretch would be challenging and risky on a Houseboat. Then back on the ICW again, you will have to hit a marina somewhere near the lower end of Lake Ponchartrain, which may not be able to accomodate you. The best bet would be to try and anchor near Rabbit Island so you can actually see what the water is doing before you decide to cross what will be open water to the south for about 20 miles to either bay St louis or Pass Christianne and the some untill u hit Long Beach or Gulfport, Ms. For this passage you will have to really wait on weather. The forecasts are always notoriously wrong in this area. that is why I suggested Rabbit Island. From there you can see the Gulf. Even though the barrier islands offer some protection from the wind and waves, it's not much. Anyway, from Rabbit Island to Mobile bay it is pretty much the Gulf of Mexico even though it is called the Mississippi Sound. The water can be anywhere from dead calm to 4 to 6' seas/chops. I'm not saying it cant be done, I'm just saying that you had better plan some additional time for lay-overs due to sea conditions.

Not sure what the cut-off dates are for your insurance during Hurricane season. You insurance agent will know. June is always a good month as far as calm weather boating goes on the gulf.. The summer months usually all have pretty much dead calm water except when July hits you might have to worry about tropical storms and hurricanes.

If it were me, I would want to be on Mobile bay with the ability to head north by early July.
    Somehow, when I lived there weather never bothered me. Maybe it was because I had a sailboat and the possibility of being hit with a hurricane was very remote. Hurricane season was more a pain in the ass than an actual worry. That is, until i got wiped out by hurricane katrina.
    Last edited by Tony B; 02-09-2016 at 08:41 PM.
    Houseboater at Heart
    1986 Mainship 36 Dual Cabin Pointed Ended House Boat

I have ran from Pensacola to New Orleans in a Gibson 36. We had big winds and water the entire trip.
    But we had fun. There is a marina on the south end of Lake Pontchartrain, Rigolets Marina.

http://rigoletsmarina.com

+ Reply to Thread