AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Any Suntex customers?

Quote Originally Posted by SinOrSwim View Post
    Saylorville Lake in Polk City, Iowa.
    I looked at this lake on Google Earth, how far up the river can you travel. It appears the dam prevents you from traveling south.

Quote Originally Posted by BananaTom View Post
    I looked at this lake on Google Earth, how far up the river can you travel. It appears the dam prevents you from traveling south.
    Depends. Not that far really. But, it's not like we have a ton of options. It is a reservoir and can fluctuate 50+ feet if it floods. So, if the water is up, you can go quite a ways. However, if it goes up too much boats like mine can't get under the bridge you see on there.

Quote Originally Posted by SinOrSwim View Post
    Saylorville Lake in Polk City, Iowa.
    SinOrSwim, you all obviously deal with harsher winters that we do. I'm curious, is it common to dry dock your houseboats there? That trailer would make it fairly easy. The boat in your photo looks about 45'-50'. Are there many boats larger than that?

Ours are pulled every fall and put back into the water in April/May. Leaving them on the water is not allowed. The boat in the photo is 58 feet. There are a couple other boats around 60 or 62ft. It handles them fine as well. The trailer does houseboats, sailboats and cruisers. They just change where they put the pads.

I asked this question almost four years ago, and I've decided to ask it again in a slightly different form; "How many boaters on here keep their boats at corporate owned marinas, such as Suntex or Safe Harbor? And, how is that working?". Suntex hasn't done well at our marina and the slipholders are very frustrated. I won't give a laundry list, but short staffing and a parade of unqualified managers have taken their toll. I would just like to see if this is the norm at marinas owned by large corporations.

I am currently in Laurel Marina on South Holston Lake in East Tennessee. It is owned by Suntex. I will be moving to the marina where I had my previous houseboats later this year. My opinion of Suntex is that they do the minimum to get by. They know they have a somewhat captive audience and they use that to their advantage in their pricing.

Quote Originally Posted by easttnboater View Post
    I am currently in Laurel Marina on South Holston Lake in East Tennessee. It is owned by Suntex. I will be moving to the marina where I had my previous houseboats later this year. My opinion of Suntex is that they do the minimum to get by. They know they have a somewhat captive audience and they use that to their advantage in their pricing.
    Suntex did a management shakeup yesterday that offers some hope for us, and maybe you too. They fired the general manager at a sister marina on this same lake and moved our GM there as an interim. They also fired the KY/TN regional manager (which probably affects you), who most of us think was the root of most of our problems.

We are cautiously optimistic and only time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Zilpo55 View Post
    Suntex did a management shakeup yesterday that offers some hope for us, and maybe you too. They fired the general manager at a sister marina on this same lake and moved our GM there as an interim. They also fired the KY/TN regional manager (which probably affects you), who most of us think was the root of most of our problems.

We are cautiously optimistic and only time will tell.
    I hope it works out for you.

My moving is a done deal. The management - or, lack thereof - at my current marina is only one reason for me moving. My current slip is located on a choke point on the main channel and my boat gets the crap beat out of it on the weekends. I can also get a houseboat slip, a covered runabout slip, a 13 x 40 foot indoor storage space, and a spot for my RV at the other marina for what I am paying just for my current houseboat slip. I was at the other marina for 24 years, so it is like going home.

Quote Originally Posted by easttnboater View Post
    I hope it works out for you.

My moving is a done deal. The management - or, lack thereof - at my current marina is only one reason for me moving. My current slip is located on a choke point on the main channel and my boat gets the crap beat out of it on the weekends. I can also get a houseboat slip, a covered runabout slip, a 13 x 40 foot indoor storage space, and a spot for my RV at the other marina for what I am paying just for my current houseboat slip. I was at the other marina for 24 years, so it is like going home.
    That sounds like a much better setup for you, especially if it's a safer location for your boat. We have been trying to decide where we would move if we just get fed up, but we really like our location and our neighbors. It would be a rough decision.

On the upside, it has been a fantastic boating season compared to last year which has kept us out of the marina and having fun with our boats. I hope it's been the same down your way.

+ Reply to Thread