Welcome to Houseboat Magazine
Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Fixed holding tank odor

Good for you, GoVols. And shame on your "friends" who dump poop in the lake. At my home lake, there are groups who actively lobby to have the boats removed and our lake drained. Morons who flaunt the law and dump sewer into the lake are handing those groups their exhibit "A" to help their efforts to drain lakes around the country.

Sorry about your wife. I would be tempted to say that is a crappy thing that her fellow boaters did to her, but I won't.

The more I thought about it, when we were considering sewage systems, the less I liked the treat-n-dump idea. In our area, the politicians decided to ban them outright. (probably to be ignored by enforcement, mostly, but we didn't care to take the chance, knowing the mental midgetry of some of our area water cops.) We knew we didn't want a nasty holding tank to fool with. And direct discharge? ICK. Utterly revolting. I don't have the numbers to say, one way or the other, how a composter would affect resale of a factory-built boat, but I am well aware how resistant to anything less than entirely conventional, no matter how expensive, delicate, and unsatisfactory 'conventional' turns out to be. Chac'un a son gout. (insert special characters as appropriate.) We are still entirely content, but still haven't thrown any wild weekend-long parties, or spent a month on the high seas. I DO know that if I were in the market for a boat of any sort, a holding tank stench would be an immediate dealbreaker.
    Last edited by Amelia; 02-22-2016 at 01:34 PM.

Super Moderator OLD HOUSEBOATER's Avatar
    Amelia

You infer that holding tank odor is a wide spread significant problem. It's not.

When it occurs it gets a lot of visibility for obvious reasons. However of the hundreds of thousands of boats in marinas all over the United States a miniscule percentage have problems. In reality corrective measures can remedy 100% of the occurrences.

There is no reason not to to accept total prevention. Peggy Hall is the go to person for correcting these events. Her book say's it all.

OHB
    Last edited by OLD HOUSEBOATER; 02-24-2016 at 11:43 AM.
    The fries are cold so we gave you extra.

Little Tennessee River (Tellico Lak) near Knoxville
    Quote Originally Posted by OLD HOUSEBOATER View Post
    There is no reason not to to accept total prevention. Peggy Hall is the go to person for correcting these events. Her book say's it all.
    OHB
    I agree 100%
    I have had many boats and some came with odors. They are fairly easily remedied. All it takes is just some routine maintenance and chemicals. Most of the routine maintenance in controlling boat odors is as simple as making sure the vent dont get clogged. The other maintenance item would be a thorough tank flushing when you pump out. An improvement to this is the filter added by by one of our members.
    "Getting Rid of Boat Odors" by Peggy Hall available at http://shop.sailboatowners.com/prod.php?53615.
    BTW, we started purging our fresh water tanks several years ago per Peggy's recommendation in that book. We do it twice a year and we no longer add chlorine (Chlorox) to our fresh water system.
    Houseboater at Heart
    1986 Mainship 36 Dual Cabin Pointed Ended House Boat

+ Reply to Thread