houseboat magazine
Your Ultimate Online Houseboating Resource
Welcome to Houseboat Magazine
Contact UsAdvertise


The House Boat Forum will be closing soon. New posting has been disabled.

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Newbie looking for correct term for steps

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Central Arkansas

    Newbie looking for correct term for steps

    I'm looking to add or possibly replace the steps or ladder from the stateroom that allow one access to the aft deck through the stateroom window. Are they called stairs? steps? ladder?

    My husband is willing to build us some, but I thought I would check pricing before he started building in order to compare however I am unable to find anything with my current terminology searches.

  2. #2
    Moderator BananaTom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Pensacola, Florida
    We called them steps on our Gibson. That went through the aft sliding glass door.
    Make sure they are well secured, a loose set of steps can cause an injury in a heart beat.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Pacific Northwest
    Most of the time builders and professionals refer to them as ladders. However, on larger boats and ships if they look like stairs then they are stairs (If it looks like a duck,,,,etc) Ladders tend to be steeper and narrower, and usually removable. Stairs follow pretty much the same rules as ashore, 9 inch risers and flats and no more than a 45 degree rise and usually built in so they aren't easily removable (got and axe?)
    Peter D. EIkenberry
    Don't tell I can't. Tell me how I can.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Very informative post!Thank u a lot!
    Last edited by boatboat; 09-06-2016 at 02:57 AM.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts