houseboat magazine
Your Ultimate Online Houseboating Resource
Welcome to Houseboat Magazine
Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Every couple of years, we reach a milestone!

We're so very glad to hear you had so little impact from Irma, Willie. I'm hoping we can call this hurricane season a wrap, now. Enough is enough.

My CGAux boating safety inspector friend dropped by yesterday with stickers in hand, offering to save us money. That is, he would count fire extinguishers, verify running lights, be impressed with our no-expiry flare strobe, inspect the paperwork again this year, issue us a sticker, which will impress the Fish and Game Water Gestapo not at all, but at least we are assured we have what we need. So proud to push the little red boat-horn button. I thought the poor gent was going to have himself a heart attack, right there on the spot. Don't know what he was expecting, but I did warn him it spoke with authority.

Ha ha! You DID know that you're REQUIRED to test the horn (among other things) every time you leave the dock, right?
    She's a tired old barge but she's paid for!

Final milestone, I'm sad to say. On Saturday, June 13, 2020, the homemade houseboat Lotus Eater met with disaster and total destruction on the Albemarle Sound, which went from harmless 1 foot chop to five-foot waves in minutes. No rain, but fearsome nor'easter blew up, and huge waves washed over the bow, splashed high on the windows, and soon, water was washing into the cabin. We were listing hard to starboard, and the waves diminished as quickly as they had arisen. The fancy red button on our fancy radio did nothing (maybe I forgot to change the freq off the weather station...) but my new and wildly extravagant iPhone worked fine. Emergency services from all over the eastern half of NC were summoned. Yay, cell phone towers. An hour of sloshing around up to our necks in sodden debris, bedding, furniture, lifejackets, storage bins, and everything that would float, with a very unhappy cat clinging to the top of a door, we finally heard chopper blades. That lovely sight hovered overhead for quite some time, and then a rescue swimmer rappelled down, swam over to the boat, and appeared at the midships-window we were at. He introduced himself properly, inquired how we were, and (at my urging) took Rob aft to swim him over to a now-lowered helo-basket. Snugged him up, and off he went, shaking like a leaf from hypothermia. Then the swimmer was back, tucked our swim ladder through the window so fat-granny could climb out. Then it was my turn to be the victim in a cross-chest carry. Up through a blinding fine spray of prop wash and wrapped in a thick wool blanket. NICE to see such calm, kind expertise! Your tax dollars are very well spent indeed, on the US Coast Guard. Just as they were helping me out of that basket after my trip aloft, I looked down, and saw a CG Small Boat crewman climbing through that nearly submerged window, going in after our cat. We couldn't reach him, and Rob still bears the scars. So far beyond the call of duty, but we're grateful! About then, we headed to our home airport, landed like a feather, and our pilot told us our cat would meet us at our town dock in 20 minutes. We shook hands with the four air crew, and our helo pilot told us it was her first actual rescue. Couldn't have been more beautifully accomplished. Just amazing. And when I got down to the town dock, here came that RIB. Four more Coasties hopped off, one of them bearing a large gray cat swaddled in an ODU blouse. Purring.
    For three days, a nor'easter blew, rain fell, and nobody dared venture out on the sound. We watched from afar as our boat sank lower in the water, drifted west. Early yesterday, it apparently hit the bridge across the western end of the Albemarle Sound, and broke apart. We spent yesterday picking up stuff out of people's yards. Today I must try to replace the contents of my purse, etc. Ah, officialdom.
    So, farewell, friends. Maybe my little airplane is safer... hah!
    Last edited by Amelia; 06-18-2020 at 10:02 AM.

So glad to hear you and your cat are ok. Sorry to hear about Lotus Eater's demise. I followed every moment of her build. The water is an unforgiving mistress, you can do everything right and still find yourself in trouble.
    What an experience though, one that few of us (I hope) will ever experience! Safe Travels!

Very sorry to hear of the loss of your boat, but very glad that you and all aboard were rescued. We boat on an inland lake and only see 5 foot waves in our nightmares. I went looking through past posts for photos of Lotus Eater. Is that her in your profile photo? It doesn't sound like your next chapter includes a boat, but I hope you will stay in touch with us here regardless.

Oh my Mimi, this is so sad. After watching the Lotus Eater go from a drawing on a piece of paper, to the years of construction, and discussing most every aspect of the amenities, motors, commode, and such, I feel like I have been on this vessel many times. The Lotus Eater is up there with MaryBob now, as a Famous Houseboat Forum Vessel. After conversing with you, I understand where ya'll are heading in your continued adventures, and it does not include a rebuild of the Lotus Eater.

It has been fun conversing with you for all these years on here, and watching as you guys made your maiden voyage and enjoyed the Lotus Eater to the final voyage. I am grateful you and Rob were not injured. It was fun watching the two of you get lifted into that Helicopter, after I knew ya'll were Okay.

WHAT A RESCUE!!

So Farewell from the Houseboat Forum Members, stop by and check on us from time to time!

For those that are new, here a few images of the Famous Lotus Eater:

1.jpg

Mimi 2.jpg

MImi 1.jpg
    Last edited by BananaTom; 06-24-2020 at 10:54 AM.

This link takes you to the link of the rescue:

https://www.wsoctv.com/news/local/co...5gp6MZBoaVZHB0

+ Reply to Thread