houseboat magazine
Your Ultimate Online Houseboating Resource
Welcome to Houseboat Magazine
Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Better times ahead for boat sales?

Better times ahead for boat sales?

I was fortunate to witness the delivery of a new custom houseboat to some folks at our dock very late last year. It is featured in an article in Houseboat Magazine this month. I haven't met the owners yet.

https://www.houseboatmagazine.com/20...rset-houseboat

This (and cabin fever) leads me to wonder if 2019 is going to be a good year for new and used boat sales. The NMMA shows that sales figures were up in 2018 and I have witnessed several upgrades among my dock neighbors. My wife and I are tempted to look at a larger houseboat that recently came on the market, but would of course have to sell our current one.

https://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...th-Consecutive

What are you guys seeing in your home areas?

I’m in the process of getting back on the water as we speak. Hopefully I’m a houseboat owner again before April.

Quote Originally Posted by JTAlberts View Post
    I’m in the process of getting back on the water as we speak. Hopefully I’m a houseboat owner again before April.
    I hope you find a great boat!

I recently sold and bought. It seems that the used houseboat market is tightening up some - less boats for sale. I think that the glut of used houseboats is still depressing new boat sales.

Quote Originally Posted by easttnboater View Post
    I recently sold and bought. It seems that the used houseboat market is tightening up some - less boats for sale. I think that the glut of used houseboats is still depressing new boat sales.
    It's interesting you say that. My personal observation is that there has been a shortage of clean used houseboats in the $100K - $250K range with a glut of boats that are in rough condition or old and small. It seems the brand new boats being built the past few years have been lavish floating mansions that cost north of $750K. There are few "average" boats like they churned out in the 80s and 90s.

Quote Originally Posted by Zilpo55 View Post
    It's interesting you say that. My personal observation is that there has been a shortage of clean used houseboats in the $100K - $250K range with a glut of boats that are in rough condition or old and small. It seems the brand new boats being built the past few years have been lavish floating mansions that cost north of $750K. There are few "average" boats like they churned out in the 80s and 90s.
    I pretty much agree. You do not see many new boats in the 16' x 65' foot range. There are still gems to be found out there - you just have to be patient.

+ Reply to Thread