Your Ultimate Online Houseboating Resource
Welcome to Houseboat Magazine
Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: AC compressor and Line set

AC compressor and Line set

I currently have two rooftop units on my Pluckebaum that are long in the tooth and both are in the same room. Therefore the back bedroom receives zero cooking if the door is closed.

I am looking at either a Mini-split setup, traditional HVAC setup, or a geothermal unit.

As far as you guys with the standard residential setup, are your lines to your outdoor unit just standard copper lines? I am somewhat concerned with the vibration and the copper breaking. Also how do you have the lines coming into the boat? Is that area sealed up?

I have aluminum barge style hull 73' houseboat with 3 ton house style HVAC unit. The blower unit is horizontal in hold near the front with about 40-50 ft. of copper lines to the outside unit. Boat is 19 years old and the system has been replaced once, but not the copper lines. Plastic straps support the line along the way, which I assume absorb some vibration. I've never heard of issues with the lines on this kind of setup.

The multi-split units look like a great solution for many boats. We saw a nicely refurbed Gibson with the rooftop unit replaced by a multi-split. They had wall mount blowers in the salon and back cabin. The outside compressor unit size and weight gives a lot of options on where to locate it.

I am very interested in what you decide. Please keep us posted.

I just replaced my 4 ton unit last year. They reused the existing copper lines. The lines come through the rear bulkhead and are foamed in place back there.

I think the mini-split could be a good idea. The only issue that I see is that inside units are typically sized much bigger than what would be needed in the typical houseboat stateroom.

The front salon in my boat is very large with massive windows. The back bedroom is smaller but that unit will also help cool the bathroom and kitchen area. I think the large windows will be the main reason the larger units will work. You can get fairly small units now as well.

As with any HVAC system for a minimally insulated space, the sizing is critical.

I installed two mini splits at my home:

Daikin 17 SEER Wall-Mounted Ductless Mini-Split Inverter Air Conditioner Heat Pump System

https://www.heatandcool.com/9-000-bt...xoCxBcQAvD_BwE

I shopped hard, and many said the Mitsubishi was the best.
    But for the price, I went with these.
    I can run two off of my 550 Genny with the power goes out.
    That use very little electricity, are super quite, and do an awesome job.
    If I were going to put a mini split system on a boat,,it would be this brand.

They make different sizes, this is a 9000 BTU, but there are larger ones.

Is your Generator a 5.5kw? And your running two outdoor units or 2 indoor units and that one outdoor unit?

+ Reply to Thread