Threaded View

Inverter/ Charger

I Have a xantrex (sp)

I Have had issues, with it.
    Thinking about trying the Magnum unit.

Your thoughts. At least a
    2000/2500. It looks like Magnum doesn’t include remote
    not an issue..

My goal is to find the best unit that best keeps the proper batt charge.
    Which is the life of batt bank,

I'd look into solar for charging the batteries, it's not reliant on shore power. You can still use your inverter charger.

How old are the batteries? It might not be the charger at all.
    Last edited by Stmbtwle; 05-30-2019 at 01:25 PM.
    She's a tired old barge but she's paid for!

Inverter

Your probably correct on batt/life I’m bumping 5 years {that’s expected life).
    Agm’s
    I never let drop below 50%.
    Always charged back at lowest amps on the remote
    But they would see extreme temps
    During ky/tenn winters

Before I spent any money on a new inverter/charger I'd have the batteries checked out. My guess it's the batteries and your inverter/charger is fine.
    She's a tired old barge but she's paid for!

I went with a pure sine wave unit from AIMS. The old modified sine wave Trace unit still functioned, but some of the electronics in the boat flat would not recognize the modified sine wive as legitimate power.

I have been very pleased so far with the AIMS unit. It is lightweight, inexpensive, and the transfer switching time is extremely fast.

But, check your batteries first.

Quote Originally Posted by easttnboater View Post
    I went with a pure sine wave unit from AIMS. The old modified sine wave Trace unit still functioned, but some of the electronics in the boat flat would not recognize the modified sine wive as legitimate power.

I have been very pleased so far with the AIMS unit. It is lightweight, inexpensive, and the transfer switching time is extremely fast.

But, check your batteries first.
    I would like to make this change, too. I still have a functioning Trace, but I've always been annoyed by the loud hum that it causes in the ceiling fans. We replaced the master cabin fan with a Haiku, which doesn't hum, but we have a very nice 4 speed fan in the salon that we'd rather keep. It runs the most when we are out. I wonder how much efficiency is lost in fan and refrigerator motors by not having a true sine wave.

Quote Originally Posted by Zilpo55 View Post
    I would like to make this change, too. I still have a functioning Trace, but I've always been annoyed by the loud hum that it causes in the ceiling fans. We replaced the master cabin fan with a Haiku, which doesn't hum, but we have a very nice 4 speed fan in the salon that we'd rather keep. It runs the most when we are out. I wonder how much efficiency is lost in fan and refrigerator motors by not having a true sine wave.
    I do not know how much efficiency is lost. I do know that it supposedly reduces the life of electric motors. You will eventually install something with digital controls that will not recognize the square wave power.

I had to replace mine in a short time period. If I could go back and do it again, I would have gone with a 24 vdc unit for the extra efficiency of 24 vdc over 12 vdc.

+ Reply to Thread