Your Ultimate Online Houseboating Resource
Welcome to Houseboat Magazine
Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Abandoned boats

Abandoned boats

We have had two owners literally walk away from their boats at our marina since the first of the year. One had lived aboard for several years then moved to a home nearby, the other announced he was going to "just let the bank have it". I suspect that one of the boats might be worth more than a couple year's slip fees, but not the other.

I hear this is a big problem in the south, especially Florida. I'm just astonished that people would just stick the marina with their boat. I realize the marina owner can put a lien on the boats, but that's a slow legal process with little to show for it.

Does this happen much at your marinas? It seems to me, the marina should want some extra deposit or bond on lower value boats.

It is a problem, probably everywhere. With the economy as it is, many folks simply have no choice. Expenses go up, value down.

Many marinas simply won't accept old boats, but that doesn't solve the problem. They end up on the beach or sunk somewhere.

The boatyard I was at this spring was in the process of cutting up and scrapping several old wrecks that had been brought in for repairs and abandoned. That's how I got my old houseboat, but I could afford to rebuild it. Not everyone can.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/331009860968114/?__nodl
    Last edited by Stmbtwle; 07-10-2019 at 04:12 AM.
    She's a tired old barge but she's paid for!

Free Houseboat Craigslist post id: 6936988394

Already gone

+ Reply to Thread