houseboat magazine
Your Ultimate Online Houseboating Resource
Welcome to Houseboat Magazine
Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New experience

New experience

After 28 years of houseboating, we had a new experience last weekend - a mouse on the boat. We were able to easily trap and remove it from the boat.

I have never known of mice on a houseboat before - insects of every kind, snakes, frogs, even a raccoon, but not a mouse.

Never a mouse but left engine hatch open and a river otter visited! Smaller otter left tracks EVERYWHERE. Got lucky no real damage before we found hatch open and otter gone to get family .

In my case, squirrels. I discovered they like black vinyl, including bilge hoses and boat fenders. White vinyl they didn't touch.
    She's a tired old barge but she's paid for!

We discovered a mouse several years ago while we were tied out. Our trusty boat cat was suddenly focused on a hold on the front deck. We were beached the night before, then tied out 4 point the next day. My theory is the little guy came aboard while we were beached. Never saw one before or since.

Our boat visitors are mostly of the legless variety. Seems northern brown water snakes think our engine wells are snug places to spend the winter, and we often must encourage a half dozen of them to seek other lodging come springtime. A hose provides sufficient motivation.

+ Reply to Thread