Your Ultimate Online Houseboating Resource
Welcome to Houseboat Magazine
Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Renters Insurance?

Renters Insurance?

Hello all!

We've been full-time or part-time living aboard our 1993 renovated Sumerset for about 4 years now, in the Nashville area. After the recent tornaodes the city experienced, it reminded me again to look into this.

Since we bought the boat we've been continually updating and improving it. And investing a lot of money in outfitting it. If something were to happen to our boat, our current insurance will only replace the value of the boat itself, not the interior contents. But I swear I remember either reading or hearing a fellow houseboater tell us that we need to get renters insurance for the contents. Since we are "renting" a slip, we would be eligible. Our current insurance company said there was so such thing for a boat, but they've been wrong on a lot of boat-related questions before so I thought I'd check with the experienced folks here.

Searching the site pulls up every single mention of insurance which so far I have not found the answer in any of those articles.

Does anyone have renters insurance or a type of insurance that covers the personal contents of their boat? Jewelry, clothing, electronics, etc.

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by APilkinton View Post
    But I swear I remember either reading or hearing a fellow houseboater tell us that we need to get renters insurance for the contents. Since we are "renting" a slip, we would be eligible. Our current insurance company said there was so such thing for a boat, but they've been wrong on a lot of boat-related questions before so I thought I'd check with the experienced folks here.

Searching the site pulls up every single mention of insurance which so far I have not found the answer in any of those articles.

Does anyone have renters insurance or a type of insurance that covers the personal contents of their boat? Jewelry, clothing, electronics, etc.

Thank you!
    First, if you have a home, and homeowners insurance, that policy normally has a provision "Contents Anywhere in World" type of coverage, at 10% of coverage.
    So, if you have $100,000 Personal Property / Contents on your homeowners, you have 10% of that or $10,000 on your boat, or in a storage unit, or any place other than that home address.

Now, Jewelry is another monster, any place, and you should have have a "Scheduled Property Policy" on jewelry over $1000 of value.

Now, when I ran a Bareboat Charter Business with my houseboat, I found an insurance company that will insure most anything on water.

Kaigler & Company
    7028 Church Street
    Suite 202
    Brentwood, TN 37027

615-376-0798
    Lynn Stem

She sure helped me out many times with coverage, when no one else could
    Last edited by BananaTom; 03-19-2020 at 01:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by APilkinton View Post
    If something were to happen to our boat, our current insurance will only replace the value of the boat itself, not the interior contents.
    Normally, your boat is insured for the value of the latest Survey.
    If you have made improvements, which has increased the value, get a current out-of-water survey, and up your coverage amounts.

Call your insurance agent for the correct information.

+ Reply to Thread