Your Ultimate Online Houseboating Resource
Welcome to Houseboat Magazine
Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Boating Industry In Trouble?

A few comments on Tuesday after Memorial Day Weekend 2020: We stayed home as planned, but kept tabs on activity at our dock through texts and FaceBook. A Lexington TV station did two stories about crowds returning to our lake over the weekend, but both were favorable. Ramps and marinas were very busy, but people generally trying to social distance. Many families launched their boats, then headed out to have fun on their own. I saw some photos of group tie-ups with 20+ boats, but I believe those people could be safe (or not), depending on how close they got to each other. In short, I heard no reports of any issues like we saw on the national news from Texas or Lake Of The Ozarks.

Boat sales still appear to be continuing. I follow several dealers and brokers on FaceBook, and they have been posting photos of happy customers in their new boats and PWCs. Local houseboat brokers are begging for inventory. My friend just sold his boat for over $200K and has a new one on order for delivery late in the year. I still suspect that sales will dry up if the economy recovers as slow as predicted.

The nature of the boating industry is very cyclical and goes with the cycle of the economy. I think the pandemic as most have mentioned has given folks an opportunity to social distance but still enjoy some of the nice weather. We are having a bit of trouble selling a used boat at the moment but it's still early in the season so I don't think it's too unusual!
    1986 Catalina 22
    www.seasidetreasures.com

Quote Originally Posted by andawaywego View Post
    The nature of the boating industry is very cyclical and goes with the cycle of the economy. I think the pandemic as most have mentioned has given folks an opportunity to social distance but still enjoy some of the nice weather. We are having a bit of trouble selling a used boat at the moment but it's still early in the season so I don't think it's too unusual!
    Welcome! And good luck with the boat sale. Used boats seem to be selling very quickly around our lake, much to my surprise.

+ Reply to Thread