Your Ultimate Online Houseboating Resource
Welcome to Houseboat Magazine
Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Newbie Owners

Newbie Owners

Hello to all!

Background: I have been lurking on the forums for about 5-6 months now utilizing the vast resources from knowledgeable houseboaters here as my wife and I begin our own houseboat journey. To give a little background, we are in our mid 20's and living in the greater Orlando, Fl area. I grew up in and around smaller boats (lakes, coastal fishing, etc) and have a background in boat repairs and projects. By trade I am a research analyst for a real estate company and my wife is an ICU nurse.

The Boat: About three years ago a 58 ft Jamestowner houseboat was listed for sale in the Sanford Fl. area and I went to look at it thinking that it seemed like a really neat project. Back then I was mostly just tire kicking as they were asking over $40k for it and it clearly needed work. About 6 months ago, we were walking around the same marina and I noticed it still sitting in the same spot it had been for multiple years. I reached back out to the seller and, sure enough, still for sale. Long story short, we wound up buying it, although for a small fraction of the original asking price.

The Issues

- Hull was severely pitted- later discovered this was due to the PO using the hull as a grounding block. We had the hull sand blasted and coated in Coal Tar Epoxy to help prevent any further corrosion. Luckily, no corrosion had made it all the way through the hull yet.

- The engines had not been started in some time, the outdrives were basically eaten away. This was fine by me because I did not want to deal with I/Os anyway. So we have swapped on a 115 Merc. Some fabrication and creativity was required here.

- A 10 SF section of the roof was soft, so I have cut that out and replaced with 3/4 ply and re-glassed. We then subsequently recoated the nonskid on the roof for a new finish.

- The electrical has been absolutely butchered by someone with just enough electrical knowledge to be dangerous. I seriously cannot believe this boat has not burned down yet. I am in the process of stripping out all of the bogus electrical add-ons to get back down to the original distribution so we can start rebuilding the pieces we want to change.

- The plumbing is in a similar state of disrepair and requiring some attention as well - I have not gotten to this yet.

Here are a couple of pictures of the boat and some of the progress completed thus far. My wife has been video documenting much of this and will probably put together a nice video once all is complete.

I will be posting a reply to this thread containing some questions that we are working through right now and would love to get insights on as well.

As noted, see some pictures of the boat and a few of the outboard swap project. Front Smaller.jpgIMG_5962PNG.jpgIMG_5963PNG.jpgIMG_5932.jpgIMG_5892.jpg
    Last edited by CFLnewby; 04-14-2020 at 06:37 PM.

Welcome Aboard!!!

Welcome and please post your progress...
    Respect Our Recreational Resources
    Leaving Only "Footprints of your Passing"

Boating on the Muskingum River
    1972 35' Crest Pontoon Houseboat
    2007 90 hp. Yamaha

Welcome!
    Great to have new owners aboard!

this forum looks interesting

+ Reply to Thread