Your Ultimate Online Houseboating Resource
Welcome to Houseboat Magazine
Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help needed for coursework!

Question Help needed for coursework!

Hi all!
    I'm a British student trying to do some research on a Design and Technology project on Houseboats.
    It would be really helpful if I could have some answers from people on this questionnaire about owning or living in a houseboat.
    This all goes towards my final exam so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

1. What energy source do you use?

2. Did you buy your houseboat or has it been renovated from a previous boat / another structure?

3. Have you always lived on a houseboat? (if not, how does it compare to living in a house on land?)

4. Do you wish to live in a houseboat in the future?

5. Have you ever travelled in the houseboat or is it permanently moored?

6. Is there a sense of community within the houseboats you live near?

7. Do you need a boat licence to own a houseboat?

8. Are there any specific laws that you must know to live in a houseboat?

9. Do you think living on a houseboat encourages sustainability in any way?

10. What are your top three favourite things about owning / living in a houseboat?

11. What are your three least favourite things about owning / living in a houseboat?

If you've got any additional information or ideas that would help me design a sustainable houseboat then please include it!

Please include the country / area you live in

Thank you,
    Maya
    Last edited by Maya; 06-09-2020 at 01:30 AM.

Gasoline to the twin 350 Crusaders and Generator.

2. Did you buy your houseboat or has it been renovated from a previous boat / another structure?
    Gibson 36', Dual Station.

3. Have you always lived on a houseboat? (if not, how does it compare to living in a house on land?)
    Living on a HOuseboat is just another way to exist, it is NOT less expensive. But has awesome views of water, and when you are ready for a change of scenery, pull up the anchor and motor on Baby!!

No, not at this time, full time.

Many trips, many trips, some over 500 miles. Awesome Fun!!

There is always a sense of community in any boating arena.

Not I, but yes, younger folks need a boater operation license.

Yes, all maritime laws prevail.

Yes, freedom to move as often as you desire.

10. What are your top three favourite things about owning / living in a houseboat?
    1. Sharing the experience with others.
    2. Freedom to change the scenery many times a day, if so desired.
    3. The gentle rocking of the vessel, when falling asleep.

11. What are your three least favourite things about owning / living in a houseboat?
    1. Hurricanes
    2. Hurricanes
    3. Hurricanes

I enjoyed BananaTom's reply, so here's my two cents worth:

Gasoline. Twin 3.0L engines plus 12.5 KW generator.

Purchased used.

Have not ever lived aboard. Stayed on it during vacations and weekends until I retired. Our boat is very similar to a house on land.

Not year round. Long range plan is to live aboard spring through fall then spend winter someplace warmer.

We are on a large inland lake and have taken numerous trips for as long as a week away from dock, but always returning.

Yes. One of our favorite things about houseboating. We have made many new friends and have had many fun gatherings and adventures.

No.

Yes. Both the boating laws in our state plus U.S. Coast Guard requirements.

Not necessarily, but it could on a properly equipped boat. Solar and wind power can be a great fit for boating.

1. The solitude of being tied out with no one around.
    2. Fellowship with great boating friends and neighbors.
    3. Continuous learning to be a better captain. Boating to new places under different conditions.

1. Expense of ongoing maintenance of a large boat. There is always a lot to do.
    2. Lack of skilled, honest boat repair people in our area. Long wait to get the good people.
    3. Corporate ownership of most marinas in our area.

If you've got any additional information or ideas that would help me design a sustainable houseboat then please include it!
    Look for high efficiency appliances and the latest solar technology for your boat. Think about systems to purify your own water supply if appropriate in your area.

Located in southern Kentucky USA

Good luck!
    Last edited by Zilpo55; 06-15-2020 at 05:03 AM.

Single Mercury 228 and inverter system. 220v while in dock.

Purchased used 12 years past.

I have lived aboard for months at a time but always retreat to land home.

Not for more than a few months it is poorly insulated and a much smaller floor space than I'm used to.

I have traveled short distances only.

Very much so and very closely knit.

No

Coast Guard and local marine laws.

It very well could and there are 2 boats looking at inverter systems and solar panels to run the boat, one is in process of this goal.

copied 2
    1. The water and solitude of being tied out with no one around. Waking up in a remote cove is one of the best experiences I have had in my 60 years.
    2. The water and Fellowship with great boating friends and neighbors.
    3. The water and Going completely against the common thought on this but the cheapness of "dock life" our boat is mainly a dock queen as she seldom leaves the dock and the area I'm in and the wonderful dock I'm blessed with are super inexpensive to maintain (the dock is owned by the people who have boats there).

11. What are your three least favorite things about owning / living in a houseboat?
    1. Cold in the winter time. While blessed with relatively moderate weather in Tennessee there is always a cold humid breeze headed to the car in the winter!
    2. Maintenance on a large boat is hard, as in on an old body and we will sell in a few years.
    3. that's all?

A long term sustainable HB needs the correct materials for the area you are in. Freshwater I highly recommend aluminum construction. I was informed many times that we would not like living on the water as the boat would have spiders and mold inside, never happened as mostly aluminum construction (in our case under an aluminum dock roof) has been wonderful. Neighbor has an all aluminum hb = no rot possible.
    Any structural or weather exposed wood = problem (opinion).

Edit: Some may question so; I think aluminum is sustainable as it is highly recyclable and accepted everywhere as recyclable. One of the big problems with all other type boats is no one wants them when they age. I have pictures!!

Please include the country / area you live in: USA Tennessee/Kentucky Lake
    Last edited by desimulacra; 06-15-2020 at 07:10 AM.

This is so useful! Thank you for taking the time

+ Reply to Thread