houseboat magazine
Your Ultimate Online Houseboating Resource
Welcome to Houseboat Magazine
Contact UsAdvertise


The House Boat Forum will be closing soon. New posting has been disabled.

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Insurance question

  1. #1

    Insurance question

    Hello houseboaters!

    We are in the midst of a glorious overhaul of a 1971 38' Riverqueen, and I have started the process of insuring our boat. One insurer is telling me that we need a condition and valuation survey before we can get it insured, another told me we need the C&V as well as an ultrasound metal test for our steel hull. I then spoke to a surveyor and he told me that it is tricky getting houseboats inspected and costly, and that some insurance companies may not even require a survey to get a policy.

    What have other peoples experiences been getting insurance, and what do you think works best?

    Thanks for your help navigating this new world to me!

  2. #2
    Moderator BananaTom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Pensacola, Florida
    Welcome to the Forum Amanda:

    In the sticky section we have a post to Newbies. Within the post created by Old Houseboater he posted the following:


    * Steel boats are where wood boats were 40 years ago. They are succumbing to the ravages of time. Most are over 30 years old. They are a hard sell and are rejected by some marinas. INSURANCE IS A REAL PROBLEM TO OBTAIN.

    * Steel boats usually rust out from the inside and the areas of the hull that go bad first are the keels and engine compartment. Some boats have roofs that rot out extensively and are a chore to repair. RiverQueen's usually have better roofs.

    * On the flip side steel boats are the easiest to repair, of any, if you have metal working and welding skills.

    * IMHO I would not touch a steel boat due to the resale and insurance problems. However if you have to do it I would look for a Lazy Days or RiverQueen as they were far and away the best built steel houseboats, they could take a hit, and are more seaworthy than most.

    So, based upon this valuable information from a life long houseboater, we wish you great success in your restoration project of a 49 year old classic.

    Most insurance companies require an out of water survey prior to the time of policy binding, and every two years after that. So that is normal. I used the following:

    Lynn Stem at
    Kaigler & Co
    Insurance agency in Brentwood, Tennessee
    Address: 7028 Church St E # 202, Brentwood, TN 37027
    Phone: (615) 376-0798

    As far as an ultrasound metal test for your steel hull, I have no recommendations, as I know nothing about steel vessels.

    Best wishes on your hunt for insurance!!

+ Reply to Thread

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts