Hello houseboaters!

We are in the midst of a glorious overhaul of a 1971 38' Riverqueen, and I have started the process of insuring our boat. One insurer is telling me that we need a condition and valuation survey before we can get it insured, another told me we need the C&V as well as an ultrasound metal test for our steel hull. I then spoke to a surveyor and he told me that it is tricky getting houseboats inspected and costly, and that some insurance companies may not even require a survey to get a policy.

What have other peoples experiences been getting insurance, and what do you think works best?

Thanks for your help navigating this new world to me!