houseboat magazine
Your Ultimate Online Houseboating Resource
Welcome to Houseboat Magazine
Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: docked boat

docked boat

I am interested in getting a houseboat to live on for nine months out of the year.. It will remain docked, no cruising at all.
    Here are my questions:
    1. How to keep the fuel fresh since I will not be cruising and how much fuel to keep on board
    2. I will run the engines every month, however since I will not be moving, will this hurt the shaft seals etc.
    3. It will be on a fresh water reservoir and have a fresh hull paint, how often should I pull the boat to re-do paint on a fiberglass hull

Thank you
    Mitch

1. what kind of fuel? there are stabilizers and biocides for both gasoline and diesel. Go to you local auto or marine store and ask about them. I use Sta-bil. It keeps the gas and alcohol from separating so you don't get pahse separation and don't get a lot of moisture build up. Diesels need biocides because little things grow in the tanks. Of course a good fuel scrubbing system would help but you may not want to spend a lot of money on that.
    2. No it won;t hurt anything. Just make sure you run them long enough they get up to normal operating temps.
    3. In fresh water bottom paint can last a long time. I would check it at least annually. However i would ask this question of other houseboat owners on the same body of water. Not all fresh water is as fresh as it's name.
    Peter D. EIkenberry
    http://newboatbuilders.com
    Don't tell I can't. Tell me how I can.

Everything Ike stated I agree.
    Here in Florida, and in salt water, we send a diver down about once a month or so, depending on how much you run the boat, to clean the bottom.
    That service also inspects the zincs / "Sacrificial Anodes", and replaces them when needed.

Quote Originally Posted by BananaTom View Post
    Everything Ike stated I agree.
    Here in Florida, and in salt water, we send a diver down about once a month or so, depending on how much you run the boat, to clean the bottom.
    That service also inspects the zincs / "Sacrificial Anodes", and replaces them when needed.
    Send a diver down once a month?? Ouch! $$$$$

Quote Originally Posted by Zilpo55 View Post
    Send a diver down once a month?? Ouch! $$$$$
    I usually had my bottom cleaned about once every two to three months as I used it several times a week.
    Depending on the growth that occurred.
    But most other boats in the marina that were not used that often had it cleaned once a month for $125.
    If not, the barnacles would grow, even with a bottom job om the hull.

Something else you may want to think about that's also important is your Blackwater setup (Holding Tank)

- What size is the Holding tank (do you have a tank monitoring setup for this to know when it's getting full?)
    - Is there a mobile pump out service (Pumper-Boat) available on your lake? Since you won't be driving over to the docks for pump outs, how quick can they get to you when you find out it's full..

Also, where are you getting fresh water from? Most marinas turn off their water supply when freezing temps occur, so may want to think about some type of setup where you pull from the lake and purify it on demand for use

+ Reply to Thread