houseboat magazine
Your Ultimate Online Houseboating Resource
Welcome to Houseboat Magazine
Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: House Batteries 6 vs 12 volt

House Batteries 6 vs 12 volt

It is time to replace my house batteries. I currently have two 12 volt deep cycle batteries tied together. But I have a question. Every houseboat I am familiar with uses 6 volt deep cycle batteries tied together for their inverter power and 12 volt deep cycle batteries tied together for the "house batteries". Everything I read says 6 volt are better for long term extended drain use...

So my question is; why doesn't anybody use 6 volt batteries as the basis of their house power?

For me, I don't have adequate space in my engine compartment for "four" 6 volt batteries and yes, I have found 6 volt batteries are better. I use eight of them for my inverter and they're over 10 years old and still going strong!

I have the same battery setup that both of you described; two deep cycle 12V for house power and eight 6V golf cart batteries for inverter. Like midnight, I do not have room for more.

House battery capacity has never been an issue for our boat outings. I replaced every 12V light with LED the first year we had the boat. The inverter batteries always need to be charged before the house batteries whenever we go out. I would love to add solar to reduce or eliminate generator run time when we stay out.

I have one 12v bank of 12 6v golf cart batteries that provides all my 12v needs. The inverter keeps them charged.

I have a second 24v bank of 4 6v batteries for the thrusters. A separate charger keeps them charged.

Many people use 6 volt "golf Cart batteries" as their house bank. The main problem is space. You have to buy twice as many batteries and you may not have room for them. In addition what many people see as 12V deep cycle batteries are really "marine batteries" that are not true deep cycle batteries, they are a combo battery with some thick plates for the deep cycle functions, and thin plates for the starting function. Make sure if you buy 12V deep cycle batteries they are true deep cycle, just like the golf cart batteries, only 12V. Oddly enough you can get true deep cycle 12V batteries at RV supply stores. Be aware, they are more expensive than the combo marine batteries.
    Peter D. EIkenberry
    http://newboatbuilders.com
    Don't tell I can't. Tell me how I can.

Other than being taller, two 6v golf cart batteries will fit in the space of a single 12v deep cycle battery.

+ Reply to Thread