houseboat magazine
Your Ultimate Online Houseboating Resource
Welcome to Houseboat Magazine
Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Houseboat wiring

Houseboat wiring

I'm getting ready to start a project that will require about 100 feet of new 12 AWG wiring. Do most electrical supply stores carry the indoor rated stranded wire or is that a special order? Lowes carries the 12/2 stranded with ground that is outdoor rated, but I don't want to pay a buck a foot for wire that will never be outside. Can somebody recommend a good online source?

Indoor wiring, if you will is called ROMEX.
    Outdoor wiring is UF Cable, which can be installed subsurface ( in the ground ) without conduit.

The application is the defining fact, on which type of wiring.
    Is it going to come in contact with water.

If you are running it your walls, Romex 12/2 with a ground will work. But, it is subject to getting hit with a nail, so know it is there, when pounding nails or driving screws.

There is also single stranded wire, wherein; you run conduit, and then pull the respective through it.
    So you get 100 feet of white single stranded 12 gauged and 100 feet of black 12 gauged, and then a green single stranded.
    You tape them together as you feed them through the conduit.

It sounds like Romex is what you will end up with, and yes Lowe's and such sells it.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Southwire-R...oll/1000131805
    Last edited by BananaTom; 01-20-2021 at 08:47 AM.

I'm almost finished with all my wiring chores on my houseboat. I went with stranded everywhere. This is the cheapest and quickest.

https://www.gregsmarinewiresupply.com/

Quote Originally Posted by JTAlberts View Post
    I'm almost finished with all my wiring chores on my houseboat. I went with stranded everywhere. This is the cheapest and quickest.

https://www.gregsmarinewiresupply.com/
    That looks like a good site, and they have what I need at 85 cents/foot. I just need to confirm the quantity.

THANKS!!

I was a telephone technician and an electrician for many years. It has always been argued that stranded wire should be used for DC voltage. However, other than the flexibility issue, I don't see any reason that Romex couldn't be used. Copper is copper, as long as the voltage and amp ratings are considered.

Quote Originally Posted by nacho mama View Post
    I was a telephone technician and an electrician for many years. It has always been argued that stranded wire should be used for DC voltage. However, other than the flexibility issue, I don't see any reason that Romex couldn't be used. Copper is copper, as long as the voltage and amp ratings are considered.
    Wiring standards for houseboats set by ABYC call for stranded wire. No solid wire and no twist lock connections.

+ Reply to Thread