houseboat magazine
Your Ultimate Online Houseboating Resource
Welcome to Houseboat Magazine
Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS

The House Boat Forum will be closing soon. New posting has been disabled.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Looking for Older Steel hulled House boat

Looking for Older Steel hulled House boat

Thanks for letting me join the forum. I am looking for an old houseboat. My dad's company in Greensboro North Carolina built a 45 ft houseboat and placed it at lake Norman in North Carolina. The boat was sold to the CEO of Carolina steel at the time somewhere in the '80s and from what I've been told it was moved out to the Mississippi River in the Tennessee Nashville area. From there the boat went to the Cumberland River and as far as I can tell from the research I've done has ended up in Clearwater Florida. This is a very old boat with a steel hull. I cannot confirm that the boat left Tennesse. I don't have registration numbers, and the only photographs I have are of the original boat in black and white. Does anyone know of any way to track down this boat? I know it had a Volvo-pent stern drive, it did not have a flying bridge.
    Attached Images

You have a big challenge, looking for this.
    And there are not many of the old steel boats still floating.
    They are famous for sinking, unless; carefully cared for with rust protection.
    I am in Florida. so I will keep an eye out, but I haven't seen it that I can remember, and I am on the water often.
    Best Wishes in you search.

As you said, it's tough. I have been looking for this on and off for over 2 years. I get a hint of who might have purchased her, where she went, then the trail goes dead. Hull bottom was white with strips at the waterline, green Astro tuff on the front bow, AC unit in the middle of the room upper deck, stairs leading up to the sunroof's lower deck. Pilot controls on the right-hand side. Volvo Penta stern drive unit and generator all in the same stern engine compartment. All of this is really old information so if...if she still floats it could look very different.
    Thank you for looking.
    Question for the group. When a houseboat sinks...who or what handles it? Do they just get left on the bottom or is it required to pull them out and junk them?
    Last edited by jeffkennon@gmail.com; 03-27-2021 at 09:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffkennon@gmail.com View Post
    Question for the group. When a houseboat sinks...who or what handles it? Do they just get left on the bottom or is it required to pull them out and junk them?
    We are on a Corps of Engineers managed lake, and their policy is get it out ASAP or else. They will allow the owner to make a plan and issue a deadline, If that deadline isn't met, the Corps will contract to have it removed at any cost and hold the owner responsible for that cost. There is a guy named Henderson that runs a large boat salvage business here in KY and has a graveyard of old boats. I always slow down to look at it when we drive by. I don't think anybody keeps a reliable record of boats throughout their lifetime. I'm not sure where to start without a Hull ID or some original registration. Good luck, though! This is an interesting project and I hope you keep us posted.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffkennon@gmail.com View Post
    Here in Florida it is different, when a boat sinks, the owner is responsible. However, when derelict sinks, and the owner can not be confirmed, or identified, it take sometime to get it removed by the State of Florida, it take a couple of months as Grant money is used in the end.

Once a Nam Vet's sailboat sunk, he had no insured, so a bunch of us, along with a local Salvage Company volunteered a day, and raised it. My first time, two divers, two large air bags placed under the vessel, two air compressors the fill the air bags, once the it came up the divers went inside, located the reason it sank, a through hole fitting for water cooling failed. The divers plugged the hole, then two water pumps pumped out the rest of that water and she floated again.

+ Reply to Thread