Welcome to Houseboat Magazine
Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Towing runabout behind the houseboat

The way my boat is set up, I could bolt/pin one of these to my swim platform and accomplish the same thing.

http://www.trailerpartsdepot.com/ite...%2E606&eq=&Tp=

My swim platform is reinforced to carry a 1,500 lb jetski, so it could handle it.

Quote Originally Posted by BananaTom View Post
    That looks good, what size and schedule PVC. I would guess at least 1" schedule 40.
    I was going to use a 1.5" ~ 2" PVC pipe. Not sure what the "schedule 40" means, but I was going to ask the gents at HD to give me the strongest PCV pipe they have. I'm going to put the rubber caps on the ends to prevent scratches to the boats and put a swim noodle around it to make it float as well.

Even if I don't tow the boat with this setup, I found a great picture on another forum of someone's idea that holds the boats away from the docks and off the fenders so they don't scratch the gel coat. PVC would only be ~2' long and the runabout would be tied to the side of the HB, but only when anchored.

The attachments feature on this forum must be broken. It doesn't matter how I size my pictures or what the file type is, they won't work!
    Formerly owned a 16X69' Sailabration

Bet On Another Thousand

Quote Originally Posted by easttnboater View Post
    The way my boat is set up, I could bolt/pin one of these to my swim platform and accomplish the same thing. http://www.trailerpartsdepot.com/ite...%2E606&eq=&Tp=
    Very interesting. That's something to consider as well. I see the height is adjustable, but even on its lowest setting, my guess is it would still be too high out of the water for your bow eye on your runabout to clip into. Also, you'll still need some ropes to go from the very corners of your HB to the midship or stern cleats on your runabout to hold the boat straight through the turns.

Bet On Another Thousand

Schedule 40 refers to the thickness of the PVC. It is commonly what is used for drain lines.

My swim platform is right on the water. The top of the platform is maybe 8 inches above the water.

Interesting following you alls thoughts on this topic. Seems to me the winch setup would fail to allow enough free independent movement of the boat in tow. Like others here I think the original would in fact be simple enough to make myself the hard part would be finding a source of the aluminum tubing that would properly sleeve together to make it work. IMHO I'm thinking it would be up up-most value that the boats are able raise and lower independently of one another to help circumvent damage to one or both boats.

The attachments feature on this forum must be broken. It doesn't matter how I size my pictures or what the file type is, they won't work!
    Yep I can't attach photo's also. The upload from your computer link appears to be dead.
    Respect Our Recreational Resources
    Leaving Only "Footprints of your Passing"

Boating on the Muskingum River
    1972 35' Crest Pontoon Houseboat
    2007 90 hp. Yamaha

That is why I will continue to use a rope.

The diagram I posted allows for both boats to bob independently, which makes it more appealing to me than the BoatHitch. Key would be to get strong PVC to withstand the forces. Really though, the HB isn't a cruiser, so I can't see the forces (stopping or turning) on the PVC pipes being too much to easily break the PVC pipes, especially when the HB only goes 9~10mph at WOT. Then there's still 2 of the PVC pipes sharing the burden of the stopping or turning the runabout. Even when turning, the rear of the runabout is being pulled by the midship support ropes. Still top speed isn't so much the issue here, it's stopping the HB. Which is even less of a concern than the top speed b/c stopping this barge isn't a quick action either. If I hit a stationary object bringing the boat to a stop, I would think breaking those PVC pipes would definitely be a concern, but at that point, it would be the least of my concerns.

I think I'll experiment a bit with this setup this weekend at the lake and report back next week. Maybe I'll eat some crow, but I've put a lot of thought into this b/c a solution simply must be found.
    Last edited by GoVols; 09-16-2014 at 01:15 PM.

Bet On Another Thousand

I have a motivation to tow closer to my houseboat that I haven't mentioned yet. We sometimes see wind chop get three or even four feet high where I boat. Even though a typical runabout has closer to two and a half feet of freeboard, we get by because in waves that big we usually go slow and bow high into the waves. But a towed boat doesn't have the benefit of bow rise. A friend of mine learned that the hard way towing his Malibu behind a houseboat. His Malibu was a direct drive Sunsetter so his freeboard was closer to two feet. He was towing his Malibu when the winds shifted unexpectedly and he found himself in the teeth of a nasty windy storm. My friend didn't want to leave his wife at the helm of the houseboat and certainly didn't want to put her out in the ski boat so his only choice was to keep towing and try to duck into a side canyon. Problem was, at the end of the rope he was using, the waves were lapping at the front of his Malibu. He was close and was keeping all but the frothy tops from from splashing into his Malibu when someone in a cruiser came by at a distance of about 30 feet. The first wake from the cruiser put about 6 inches of blue water over the bow of the Malibu. That dropped his freeboard to less than two feet so the second wake put even more water in the Malibu. By the time the third wake came, the Malibu was low enough in the water that it went down. My friend was forced to cut his tow rope to prevent damage to the houseboat as the Malibu went down.

If my friend's boat had been close enough behind the houseboat to so that the houseboat took the brunt of the waves, he would still have his Malibu. Instead, he was facing the prospect of hiring divers to bring his boat up. The National Park Service that governs Lake Powell said that the boat had to come up. They didn't care if it cost a half million dollars (the bid if they found the boat deeper than 200 feet) or whether he had insurance to cover it.

Because the weather can change suddenly where I boat, I have additional incentive to tow closely behind my houseboat, even if I can't find a way to do it cheaper than what Boathitch charges.

Plumbing was my family's business. I would not categorize any PVC pipe as strong compared to metal pipe. Here is a link showing specs:

http://www.professionalplastics.com/...ifications.pdf

I have never seen schedule 80 or 120 PVC in a "normal" store.

Endurance - what if they divers cannot find it?

+ Reply to Thread