Welcome to Houseboat Magazine
Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Houseboat hunting

Also be prepared for a large wake coming behind you. Any of these will put out a nice set of rollers that other boaters might not appreciate.

Super Moderator
    I am not joking, we had houseboat races in Nashville where I was a dealer. it was a lot of fun to blow the cruisers away. The 44 I was talking about was being surveyed and the GPS had it at a hair over 40 with 6 people aboard. Now if the bottom is fouled it will not do it. 454s at 4400 RPM 19x19 props

Super Moderator
    Gibson was who said they could pull 10 skiers and they did. I saw the pics when Hoot did it As to the stringer thing Gibsons are not prone as Nautalines are for that but if water stays high in the bilge the transum and the stringers will go. Fuel consuption at 4400 rpm gives you about 1/2 a mile to the gallon

Super Moderator
    Oh I forgot, a gibson at 40 mph only puts up about a ft high wake, it is on top and gone. The fun that we ured to have in nashville on Old hickory Lake was for a cruiser to come along side and look and wave good bye. The only pronlem was we would just stay next to him till till he hit the stops and then we waved bye to him. I was a Chris/craft dealer and the gibson was faster than they were around the same length.

I believe it.
    She's a tired old barge but she's paid for!

My 36 foot Gibson with twin 350 Crusaders would cruise all day at 25 miles per hour at 2200 RPM's, with burn rate at 1 mile per gallon.
    I topped out at 35 miles per hour, burn rate was .5 miles per gallon.

This was loaded with 200 gallons of fuel, 100 gallons of fresh water, and with 6 on board.
    And food and a couple of ice chests full of beverages.

This process is killing me. There are certain things I like about all the different styles of boats the speed of the planing hulls and the comfort and room of the barge style. I wish I had 1mil or so and I could have my cake and eat it too.

Don't we all? However compromises MUST be made. I think you need a LONG talk with your Admiral and decide what you REALLY want to use the boat for; leisurely cruising and entertaining, racing about the lake, or some (not all) of both.

My old barge is SLOW ( 6 kts ) and not big enough for entertaining more than another couple. Sometimes I wish I had more speed, and sometimes she wishes she had more space, but it's nice to sit back with our feet up and a margarita, and let the autopilot do the work.
    She's a tired old barge but she's paid for!

I will say that cruising along at 6 knots, with my feet up on the console, weather at the interior helm or the upper helm, with the music playing, and belnder spinning is an awesome expierance.

My favorite time to do this is in a rain storm, just keeping it between the channel markers.

Senior Member Frantically Relaxing's Avatar
    As the bikers say,

It's not the destination
    It's the journey...

If you have no particular place to go (that's what anchors are for ) it doesn't matter how long it takes...
    1988 SkipperLiner 53x14
    1995 Tracker Party Cruiser 32
    2002 Regal 2860 Commodore
    1987 Sea Ray 21' Seville midcabin
    2000 Allegro Bus 40' DP

+ Reply to Thread