houseboat magazine
Your Ultimate Online Houseboating Resource
Welcome to Houseboat Magazine
Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: If you are looking for TV on your boat....

If you are looking for TV on your boat....

Last year I was going to mount a satellite dish but decided not to. I tried the Slingbox this year and it works perfectly. If your marina has wifi that is. Downloaded the app to the ipad and just plug it into the tv. The picture is smaller than the actual tv? Not sure if there is a setting I need/can change yet?? Just thought I would put this out there if anyone else was looking for a solution for TV on the boat. With kids ages 7,4 and 2 having something to watch is important for us.

I used to just have an antenna but with digital signals, it wasn't very consistent on windy days. This way I can watch anyting from Directv and on my DVR at home along with the local channels. Works pretty well.

Our marina's WiFi is unreliable, at best. We just added another box and dish to our Dish Network package for the house, but had them installed at our slip. When we're on the water, we get ~20 channels on the digital tuner, so I'm not too worried about it. The kids are typically in the water all day long and then collapse in the beds when they finally get out.

In the future, I may get this, but for now it'll just have to be on the wish list.
    '06 Sailabration located on Percy Priest Lake

Bet On Another Thousand

A good quality $100 dollar antenna rotator and a $15 satellite finder is just as good as the Track IT TV stuff. If you look at my avatar you will see a Dish network 1002 dish on top of my radar arch. Once I get tied up, I just spin the dial and wait for the tone. Fine tune it a bit and I am good to go.

E.TN,
    It sounds like you're manually tracking the satellite. Do you need to beach your boat so you don't have to track the satelite while spinning around the anchor? What's appealing about the TrackIt TV is you can anchor and it automatically does it all.....even if you're underway. If your system does that as well, then I'd like to know more about it b/c sounds like yours is a bit cheaper than the other system.
    '06 Sailabration located on Percy Priest Lake

Bet On Another Thousand

I always beach and tie off my boat. It does not track.

You need to take a hard look at TrackIT TV. It does not track the satellite either. It simply points the dish at a predetermined compass heading and maintains that using a "highly accurate electronic compass". I doubt seriously it will keep you locked onto the satellite if you are swinging and rocking at anchor, much less when underway.

We have spotty wi-fi at our dock. The access points are all pretty far from our boat. I bought the range extender at WalMart and it greatly improved the situation. I keep it under the canvas on my fly bridge and it is basically a repeater. One neighbor has already hit me up for the password and is using it also. DISCLAIMER: It won't make up for an overloaded internet connection at the marina. It will only boost a weak signal from an access point. I'm guessing our marina's internet will choke when the season gets in full gear.
    http://www.netgear.com/home/products...nge-extenders/

I have had a couple issues with the wifi so far this year but we also have a mifi hotspot and can use phones. For as little as the kids watch, it works well. With the mobile hotspot using 4G, I can use it if we are in a cove anchored as well. So far so good. But, agree if the wifi is spotty it will not work. I don't have anywhere on our dock to mount a dish and was trying to avoid mounting it on the boat. This was an easier solution. My kids are like someone mentioned above. Outside most of the time but in the evenings they like to sit on the couch and relax a little.

+ Reply to Thread