From The Forums: Got Condensation?

January 2017 Web Exclusive


One forum member just posed a question on different ways to get rid of too much condensation onboard:

KC24: I’m working on my 1997 Jamestowner 16x64. My problem is the condensation on my single pane windows, anyone have any advice other than replacing them with double pane?

Stmbtwle: There are "window insulator kits" consisting of double-sided tape and clear shrink film that you apply on the inside. Only good for a season but they should work. Or you could use acrylic window glazing to make "storm windows" for the inside. I have these in my home; they have been in place for years but are more expensive. They help with the AC, too.

easttnboater: I checked into replacing the windows in my houseboat a couple of months ago. There is an outfit on the west coast that builds Insulating Glass Units (IGUs) (aka dual pane) for high end RVs and boats. They are all custom built with a variety of options—color, corner type, glass type...They are also pricey. I was looking at around $8,000 to replace all the windows in my boat. I was looking primarily for heat insulation in the summer, so I tinted my windows instead.

BananaTom: If the condensation is on the inside, you could place a dehumidifier within the boat. Get one with a humidstate and pump, and drain it overboard.

Got any other ideas? Jump onto our forum at and share your thoughts!

  • Like what you read?

    Want to know when we have important news, updates or interviews?

  • Join our newsletter today!

    Sign Up
You Might Also Be Interested In...

Send to your friends!